Reasons for Optimism
2020 has been nothing if not a memorable year for us all.
For businesses like yours and mine, it certainly has brought its fair share of trying moments.
Yet, from the conversations I’ve been having with Unanet clients in the government contractor and architecture/engineering segments, I get a strong sense that our clients generally are in a solid position to rebound in the “next normal”—whatever that ultimately ends up looking like.
All in all, I see really positive signs across our customer base of organizations finding ways to work more efficiently, which in turn is freeing their workforces to focus on two things that will help them overcome today’s business challenges: serving customers and innovating with new ideas.
On the GovCon side, organizations like The Rehancement Group and Inovex are seeing some really substantial efficiency gains now that they have a better handle on ERP. On the architecture/engineering side, M S Benbow has seen its overall profitability increase two percent in just one year as a direct result of implementing a new ERP platform—and you can probably guess whose platform that is!
Continuing with the good news, I’m excited to tell you about some of the things Unanet has in store for customers here in 2020 and beyond. We just unveiled the first enhancements to our 2020 software release, and our development team is already planning to roll out additional new features and functionalities as the year goes on.
We’ve also now released the annual GAUGE Report with our partner CohnReznick, and this year’s edition is full of original research that I know will be a valuable strategic and benchmarking tool for government contractors.
That’s not all we have percolating. As I recently shared in an interview with Mergermarket, Unanet is open to making an acquisition this year as we look to continue expanding into new verticals. If you recall, Clearview became a part of Unanet in 2019. Construction and IT professional services are two verticals where we see really strong opportunity.
We may have some news to share on that front before the year is out, so stay tuned!
Acquisition is just part of our growth strategy. We’re also investing substantially in our existing customer base by beefing up our software development and customer service teams. Now is no time to get complacent or rest on our laurels. We need to remain the industry leader in service and innovation.
And that’s exactly where we intend to maintain our focus throughout the remainder of 2020 and beyond.
New Unanet A/E Release Includes Features to Elevate Sales, Accounting and HR Efficiencies
The software release includes three notable new features and functionalities:
- Enhanced CRM is a web-accessible, mobile-friendly feature that helps Unanet A/E customers improve sales tracking and nurture their customer relationships, so they can prioritize high-value opportunities in their pipeline. Additionally, customers can manage job cost, visualize and track project updates, and manage the entire lifecycle of a project on any device. Enhanced CRM eliminates siloes and fosters integration across multiple business functions.
- Line item web approvals ensure more accurate time and expense entries and readily catch errors prior to billing. This feature makes approvals intuitive and natural for managers with mobile access from any device. By streamlining and more intelligently executing line item approvals, A/E firms eliminate excessive labor hours, and also reduce the need for additional training.
- Secure payroll integration with customers’ trusted payroll vendors helps run, automate and manage payroll and employee information, reducing HR costs and labor. This feature seamlessly transfers data bi-directionally so A/E firms can have improved confidence in their payroll information across the company.
“These new features were developed and integrated into Unanet A/E based on customer input,” said Assad Jarrahian, chief product officer, Unanet. “We are committing to ongoing collaboration with our valued customers so they have the industry’s best tools for managing their businesses at their fingertips.”
Today’s release builds on the robust features delivered earlier in 2020 that included new integration capabilities for online payment processing, streamlining invoice delivery with enhanced invoice tracking, and an easy-to-use web app. Unanet A/E also delivers powerful analytics that allow A/E firms to predict, forecast, and model scenarios with virtually unlimited variables.
“By working collaboratively with our customers, we work to identify precisely what tools they need and then develop innovative solutions to help them excel in the dynamic architecture, engineering, and construction industries,” said Matt Pantana, SVP of product, Unanet A/E. “Unanet’s investment in A/E solutions are demonstrating results and we’re committed to continuing this success.”
The Unanet development team is busy working on additional enhancements to the Unanet A/E software release unveiled earlier this year. So keep the feedback coming and stay tuned, because you’ll be the first to know about additional releases as soon as they become available.
In the meantime, for a deeper dive into Unanet A/E by Clearview and specifics of the 20.2 update, click here.
Unanet Selected to Inc. 5000 for Third Consecutive Year
Unanet, the flexible project-based ERP software purpose-built for government contractors, architecture, engineering and professional services industries, today announced it has once again been named to the prestigious Inc. 5000 list. Ranked no. 4189, this is the third consecutive year Unanet has been honored on this list of America’s fastest-growing private companies. Earlier this year Inc. also placed Unanet in the top 10% of fastest-growing private companies in the D.C. metro region.
Unanet’s success is driven largely by customer growth in the government contractor (GovCon) space, as well as the architecture and engineering (A/E) industries, via Unanet’s 2019 acquisition of Clearview Software. Unanet has been particularly successful at attracting customers that are seeking a more service-oriented ERP platform than they have been using.
“One-third of Unanet’s customers have switched to us from a competitive product, and this trend is increasing,” said Greg Guelcher, Chief Financial Officer, Unanet. “Our growth is a result of the steady investments we’ve made in our software and our team, all due to collaboration with and feedback from our customers. Our customer-first, people-oriented strategy is paying off.”
“The companies on this year’s Inc. 5000 come from nearly every realm of business,” says Inc. editor-in-chief Scott Omelianuk. “From health and software to media and hospitality, the 2020 list proves that no matter the sector, incredible growth is based on the foundations of tenacity and opportunism.”
In addition to completing the acquisition of Clearview and folding that software into its suite of solutions in 2020, Unanet has launched several new initiatives and enhancements to its award-winning ERP platform. The company has also fortified its executive staff with the additional of several experienced team members including a new Chief Customer Officer, Chief Product Officer, Chief Marketing Officer and Senior Vice President of Sales.
Complete results of the Inc. 5000, including company profiles and an interactive database that can be sorted by industry, region, and other criteria, can be found at www.inc.com/inc5000. The top 500 companies are also being featured in the September issue of Inc., available on newsstands August 12.
To learn more about Unanet, please visit www.unanet.com
We Wrote the Book on the Business of Projects. Here’s Why It’s Worth Reading
No one knows better than you the unique demands of architecture and engineering (A/E) projects. How do you manage all the moving parts of the project life cycle and keep projects on track while at the same time maintaining a firm handle on profitability?
You’ll find answers and discover the keys to unlocking greater productivity, improving operational efficiency and increasing profitability within and across projects in The Business of Projects for Dummies, a new eBook authored by a trio of A/E ERP experts from Unanet.
The title of the book is a bit of a misnomer. Even highly seasoned project managers are bound to find fresh, actionable insights within the 50+ pages of The Business of Projects, which Unanet is making available as a free download. Across its eight chapters, the book spells out in detail the nature of project-based work, the concept of enterprise resource management, and how firms can capture new business. It also shows how enterprise resource planning opens the door to insightful analytics that guide planning, execution and financial management.
All in all, a quick, impactful and necessary addition to your summer reading list.
M S Benbow Uses Newfound Data Insight to Elevate Processes, Planning and Profitability
Just one year after ditching its patchwork approach to project-based ERP in favor of Unanet A/E by Clearview, the integrated engineering consultancy M S Benbow reports seeing a 2% increase in gross profit as a direct result of moving to an integrated ERP platform.
“Unanet A/E has been a true catalyst to collaboration around the right issues within and across departments,” explains Jennifer Edwards, CPA, the controller at M S Benbow, which has offices in Louisiana and Texas. “It’s giving us insight into data that we’re using to get at the core of real business issues, and has gotten us to the point where we are incorporating more forward-looking data for planning.”
Get the inside story about how the firm has used its new ERP system to improve its bottom line — along with a set of best ERP implementation practices you can put to work for your firm — in a newly published Unanet case study, available for free download here.
Track Customer Engagement With Invoices
You deserve maximum impact from your ERP solution, and the ERP Toolbox is here to help. The question for this edition of the toolbox:
How do I go about tracking customer engagement with my invoices?
Unanet A/E Invoice Delivery and Payments makes it easy to monitor how engaged your customers are with your invoices. Understanding the status of your emails and your customer’s interaction with them can help fine-tune your invoicing and collection efforts. Here’s a quick tutorial:
Working within A/R Collections, collections staff can filter each invoice to get detailed information about transaction history, ongoing collections effort and, importantly, email status. Email status provides a detailed record of your emailed invoice across the following items, helping to ensure your customers are taking the intended action — namely, paying their invoices!
- Sent lets you know the email has been sent from Unanet A/E to be processed for delivery.
- Processed indicates the email has been prepared by the server to be delivered.
- Failure-Bounced indicates the email was not delivered, typically due to an outdated or incorrect email address.
- Failure-Dropped indicates the email was not delivered, such as due to the presence of spam content or an unsubscribed recipient.
- Delivered tells you the email has been accepted by the receiving server.
- Open tells you the email has been viewed.
- Click indicates that a link in the email has been clicked by the recipient.
Have a question about a specific feature or functionality of Unanet A/E by Clearview, or about a certain aspect of ERP? Submit your question here and get an answer from a Unanet expert.
Resources, News, & Events
Free to Unanet A/E customers and ready to move the needle for your A/E firm:
- In our blog, we share insightful articles to help you navigate industry changes and learn how to grow your business. Subscribe to our blog and never miss an update.
- Upcoming webinar: Achieving Operational Excellence with Analytics & Innovations featuring M S Benbow | August 20, 2020, 2:00 – 3:00 PM EST. Learn how M S Benbow leveraged Unanet A/E Analytics and Innovations to solve problems, gain efficiencies, and put their data to work to achieve excellence in their PMO and beyond. Click here to register.
- On-demand webinar: Change, Change, and More Change, featuring Technik Solutions. A must for project professionals who are responsible for monitoring and reporting project performance, this webinar delves into the three key types of change that impact project performance, with best practices for how to request, approve, track and report project change within an ERP system. Check it out here.
- Unanet A/E in the news: The Unanet A/E 20202.2 release has been featured in TecHR Series, Enterprise Times, MarketWatch, and more. Check out our news page to learn more.
Latest Unanet A/E Release
Unanet A/E 2020.2, powered by Clearview, gives A/E firms a better handle on their HR, accounting and sales processes. The software release includes three notable new features and functionalities: enhanced CRM, line item web approvals, and secure payroll integration.