Achieving a strategic level of project management maturity should be on the mind of every project-based business, especially professional services firms. Proposals, budgets, resources, estimate-at-complete (EAC) are activities a project-based business can’t live without. In a perfect world, the project management activities will connect directly to time and financial systems. The integrated system (people, processes, and tools) will provide a level of visibility and control that will help mature your discipline and will improve execution success.
Project Management Maturity = Project Success and Predictability
Evolving the Project Management Discipline
Since project management depends on the strategic alignment of people, processes and tools it only makes sense to concentrate on the level of competency of each of these attributes throughout your capability evolution. Professional services organizations are all on different journeys as it pertains to capability evolution. Which one of the below levels accurately depicts your current maturity status?
By committing to mature your project management discipline you will realize the following benefits:
- Improved visibility and control into project performance
- Improved predictability and understanding of overall performance
- Increase in realized profitability
- Common organizational standards ensuring consistent reporting, reduction of rework, and reduced dependence on heroes.
- Optimization of the project management staff allowing them to focus on their customer, not on turning the crank.
- More efficient communication within project teams and to senior leadership.
- Delivery of real-time insight on project financials and enable resolution of identified risks.
- More on-time and on-budget projects, which equals a delighted customer.
Achieve Project Management Maturity With Unanet!
With real-time project data, visibility, and resource management all in one single source of truth, Unanet’s project management software makes it easy to achieve project management maturity. Having one integrated system gives you the control and foresight you need to improve project success.
To learn more, download our white paper “Benefits of Maturing Your Project Management Discipline” or view our “Introduction to Earned Value Management: How to Get Started” webinar.
Want to keep reading? Check out part 2 of our project management maturity blog series: "What is PPM?"